Help Make Video on the Web More Accessible for Blind Viewers
Online participation ALL-DAY
On Thursday, January 26, 2017, amateur and professional describers all over the world will participate in this day of description. Volunteer describers will describe as many YouTube videos of as many kinds as we can in a single day.
Join the Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Institute from your own home or workplace, or by gathering with other volunteers at one of the in-person DescribeAthon meetups.
Volunteers will use YouDescribe – Smithg-Kettlewell's free, web-based tool for recording and playing audio description for any YouTube video.
Registered DescribeAthon participants will receive more information about using YouDescribe, techniques for describing video, and will be eligible for prizes ($25 Amazon gift cards) for such categories as:
- Best Description of a Music Video
- Best Description of an Educational Video or Documentary
- Best Description of a Promotional Video or Commercial
- Best Description of a How-To or Instructional Video
- Most creative (Yet Effective) Description Style
- Most Impressive Describer